PREP TIME: 20 MINS PLUS REST
COOKING TIME: 3 MINS
½ x 7g packet dry yeast
½ cup (125ml) warm buttermilk
1 cup (230g) warm mashed potato
2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons melted butter
¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon mixed spice
3 cups (450g) plain flour
2 litres canola oil
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Using the bowl of an electric stand mixer, dissolve yeast in warm buttermilk and set aside until bubbles start appearing.
2. Add warm mash potato, eggs, melted butter, ½ cup ( 110g) sugar, baking powder, bicarb soda, salt, mixed spice and 2 cups (300g) flour, beating with a dough hook until dough is smooth. Add enough extra flour to form a soft dough, but do not knead the dough. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
3. Turn onto a floured surface and divide it into quarters. Roll dough to 1½ cm thick. Cut large rounds with a 9.5cm round cutter and then cut out centers with a 3.5cm small round cutter. Heat oil to 190°C.
4. Carefully lower 2-3 doughnuts into the hot oil, to prevent oil cooling too much and cook for 2-3 minutes or until dark golden, moving continuously with a slotted spoon.
5. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon together, stirring to combine. Place hot doughnuts in cinnamon sugar until well coated.
6. Serve doughnuts warm!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
ROASTED HARISSA CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE TRAY BAKEPREP TIME: 20 MINS + MARINATING TIMECOOKING TIME: 1 HOURSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 4 Chicken Marylands, slashed on the diagonal2 tablespoons harissa paste2 tablespoons lemon juice2 tablespoons olive oil750g bag Spud Lite...
POTATO, LENTIL AND CAULIFLOWER CURRYPREP TIME: 15 MINSCOOKING TIME: 40 MINSSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 1 small cauliflower head, separated into florets2 teaspoons vegetable oil1 large brown onion2 cloves garlic, crushed2 teaspoons grated ginger2 tablespoons mild Indian curry...
ONE POT CHICKEN, LEMON, TARRAGON AND POTATO CASSEROLEPREP TIME: 20 MINS COOKING TIME: 1 ½ hours SERVES: 4 - 6 INGREDIENTS 1 tablespoon olive oil6 chicken chops (bone in chicken thighs with skin)300g shallots, blanched and peeled200g smoked bacon, chopped3...