Fiver ways to use leftover Mashed Potatoes
We all love a good serving of mashed potato with a nice roast for dinner, but what are you going to do when you’ve got a big bowl of leftover mash after everyone’s had their fill? Mash can be a bit like pasta, when you’re preparing it you wonder if you’ll have enough, and when it’s ready you’ll sometimes find you’ve got too much!
We’re all guilty of sneaking a spoonful of cold mash and gravy from the fridge, or mash can be great re-heated the next day, but it may lose a bit of that steamy, buttery deliciousness, and why not get adventurous with those leftovers? Spud Lite mash can keep in the fridge for 3-5 days, and is incredibly versatile once you put your mind to it, making it excellent for repurposing in other recipes.
You can also incorporate heaps of other leftovers with mashed potato dishes. We all know and love a classic shepherd’s pie with a cheesy mashed potato crust, but there are some other creative ways to use leftover mash. Whether you make your mash fluffy or creamy or somewhere in between, there’s a recipe that you can re-use it in. Here are a few of our favourites to get you started.
- Japanese Potato Croquettes (Korokke). Rather than cheese, this Japanese version of the potato croquette incorporates minced meat and some Japanese flavours to create croquettes with a point of difference. Croquettes are great for finger food and entertaining. This recipe is easy enough to try at home.
- Potato Cakes with tomato, onion, chilli and herb salsa. Everyone loves the humble classic potato cake. According to some of the older generation, potato cakes were a great staple to have as a backup for the main meal of the day if there was no meat available, hence the sometimes heard name: “mock fish”. This version adds a deliciously fresh salsa to accompany the family favourite potato cake.
- Mashed potato Stromboli: Stromboli is traditionally pizza ingredients rolled into a log, this leftover roast spin on the recipe is a great way to also use any unused mash, roast meat and veggies. This recipe is versatile enough that you can basically put whatever you want in it!
- Add leftover Spud Lite mash to soup or chowder to thicken. Here’s a great bacon, corn and mashed potato chowder recipe, which can also have seafood added to it. By using leftover mashed potato to thicken a soup rather than a flour slurry, this technique can keep a recipe gluten-intolerant friendly.
- Leftover Turkey Stew with Mashed Potato Dumplings: a super satisfying winter meal that uses all the Sunday roast leftovers, with deliciously soft chewy potato dumplings that will please the whole family!
- Bacon Potato Waffles: Depending on the flavours already in your leftover mash, you can make these potato waffles ready to pair with your favourite sweet syrup, chocolate or ice cream! If you’ve already seasoned your mash with chives, sour cream, etc. then we recommend topping with crispy bacon, cheese, and whatever other savoury flavours take your fancy!
- Spinach Quiche with Mashed Potato Crust: A twist on your average quiche, use leftover mashed potato to form the crust instead of pastry, and fill with your favourite quiche recipe. We’ve picked a spinach, mushroom and bacon quiche for you to try.
Note: mashed potato forms the base of one of our all-time favourite Italian dishes, gnocchi. There are a few specifics on how to cook and mash your Spud Lite properly to get that dreamy, melt-in-your-mouth gnocchi consistency. To find out how, check out the post “How to make the perfect gnocchi using Spud Lite”.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
Spanish Style Mash PREP TIME: 10 min COOKING TIME: 15 min SERVES: 6 INGREDIENTS1.5kg Spud Lite potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm chunks¾ cup aioli1 chorizo sausage, finely diced ¼ cup pickled capers, drained¼ cup flat leaf parsley, roughly choppedSalt flakes and...
Roast Pork with Vegetables PREP TIME: 15 min COOKING TIME: 35 min SERVES: 4 INGREDIENTS1 Pork fillet ¼ cup soy 2 garlic cloves, crushed ½ teaspoon Chinese five spices2 tablespoons orange marmalade, warmed750g pack Spud Lite potatoes, quartered1 bunch baby carrots,...
Quick Hasselback Roasted Potatoes PREP TIME: 15 min COOKING TIME: 30 min SERVES: 4 - 6 INGREDIENTS750g pack baby Spud Lite potatoes ¼ cup garlic infused olive oil 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, roughly chopped Salt flakes and freshly...
Virginia SA 5120
(08) 8380 9096