PREP TIME: 20 MINS PLUS REST
COOKING TIME: 3 MINS
½ x 7g packet dry yeast
½ cup (125ml) warm buttermilk
1 cup (230g) warm mashed potato
2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons melted butter
¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon mixed spice
3 cups (450g) plain flour
2 litres canola oil
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Using the bowl of an electric stand mixer, dissolve yeast in warm buttermilk and set aside until bubbles start appearing.
2. Add warm mash potato, eggs, melted butter, ½ cup ( 110g) sugar, baking powder, bicarb soda, salt, mixed spice and 2 cups (300g) flour, beating with a dough hook until dough is smooth. Add enough extra flour to form a soft dough, but do not knead the dough. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
3. Turn onto a floured surface and divide it into quarters. Roll dough to 1½ cm thick. Cut large rounds with a 9.5cm round cutter and then cut out centers with a 3.5cm small round cutter. Heat oil to 190°C.
4. Carefully lower 2-3 doughnuts into the hot oil, to prevent oil cooling too much and cook for 2-3 minutes or until dark golden, moving continuously with a slotted spoon.
5. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon together, stirring to combine. Place hot doughnuts in cinnamon sugar until well coated.
6. Serve doughnuts warm!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
MOROCCAN VEGETABLE AND CHICKPEA SOUP PREP TIME: 15 MINS COOKING TIME: 25 MINS SERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 1 tablespoon olive oil2 teaspoons Moroccan spice mix1 large brown onion, peeled and diced2 sticks celery, diced1 large carrot, peeled and diced400g crushed tomatoes1...
Italian Style Meatballs with Basil & Parmesan Mashed Potato PREP TIME: 25 MINS COOKING TIME: 30 MINS SERVES: 4 - 5 INGREDIENTS Meatballs in Tomato Soup 1/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs ¼ cup milk 250g beef mince 250g pork mince 2 cloves garlic, crushed 3 teaspoons dried...
COCONUT, LIME AND CHILLI POTATO BAKE PREP TIME: 25 MINS COOKING TIME: 1 HOUR, 40 MINS SERVES: 6 INGREDIENTS 1kg Spud Lite potatoes 270ml tin coconut cream 1 cup (250ml) vegetable stock ½ teaspoon soy sauce 2 cloves garlic, crushed 1 long red chilli, deseeded...