PREP TIME: 20 MINS PLUS REST
COOKING TIME: 3 MINS
½ x 7g packet dry yeast
½ cup (125ml) warm buttermilk
1 cup (230g) warm mashed potato
2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons melted butter
¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon mixed spice
3 cups (450g) plain flour
2 litres canola oil
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Using the bowl of an electric stand mixer, dissolve yeast in warm buttermilk and set aside until bubbles start appearing.
2. Add warm mash potato, eggs, melted butter, ½ cup ( 110g) sugar, baking powder, bicarb soda, salt, mixed spice and 2 cups (300g) flour, beating with a dough hook until dough is smooth. Add enough extra flour to form a soft dough, but do not knead the dough. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
3. Turn onto a floured surface and divide it into quarters. Roll dough to 1½ cm thick. Cut large rounds with a 9.5cm round cutter and then cut out centers with a 3.5cm small round cutter. Heat oil to 190°C.
4. Carefully lower 2-3 doughnuts into the hot oil, to prevent oil cooling too much and cook for 2-3 minutes or until dark golden, moving continuously with a slotted spoon.
5. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon together, stirring to combine. Place hot doughnuts in cinnamon sugar until well coated.
6. Serve doughnuts warm!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
BUTTER CHICKEN PREP TIME: 15 MINS + MARINATING TIME COOKING TIME: 40 MINS SERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 600g chicken thigh, cut into bite sized pieces 2 teaspoons butter chicken spice paste ½ cup Greek style yogurt 2 tablespoons lemon juice 2 tablespoons olive oil SAUCE...
BEEF & STOUT STEW WITH POTATO DUMPLINGS PREP TIME: 25 MINS COOKING TIME: 3 HOURS SERVES: 8 INGREDIENTS ½ cup olive oil 1kg stewing beef, trimmed and cut into 2cm cubes ¼ cup plain flour 1 large brown onion, peeled and chopped 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped 1...
TWICE BAKED POTATOES WITH HORSERADISH, GRAINY MUSTARD AND CHIVESPREP TIME: 15 MINS COOKING TIME: 1 HOURSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 4 Spud Lite potatoes2 teaspoons olive oil1 large brown onion, peeled and dicedSalt flakes and freshly ground black pepper½ cup grated cheddar2...