FRUIT MINCE PIES
PREP TIME: 30 MINS PLUS RESTING TIME
COOKING TIME: 1 HOUR 40 MINS
1 egg, lightly beaten for glaze
Coffee sugar crystals, to sprinkle
Sweet shortcrust pastry
400g Spud Lite potatoes
1 cup (150g) plain flour
2 tablespoons cornflour
2 tablespoons caster sugar
80g unsalted butter, diced
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
½ cup (35g) coarsely grated apple
¼ cup (20g) finely diced pear
¾ cup (105g) dried cranberries
¾ cup (120g) currants
¼ cup (40g) sultanas
¼ cup (40g) raisins
¼ cup (40g) citrus mixed peel
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
½ teaspoon mixed spice
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Zest and juice of ½ orange
Zest and juice of ½ lemon
2 tablespoons brandy
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced) and lightly grease a 12 hole shallow patty pan.
2. Bake potatoes with skin on in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until very tender, to help dehydrate the potatoes. Remove skins and mash the potato until smooth. Set aside to cool completely.
3. In a food processor combine flours, sugar, and butter together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Add 200g cooled mashed potato and pulse until the mixture just starts coming together. Remove from the food processor and bring the pastry together on a lightly floured surface. Shape into a flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
5. For the fruit mince, combine all the ingredients together in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until combined. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally often until fruit plumps and absorbs liquid. Remove from heat and cool completely.
6. Roll pastry to 5mm thick on a lightly floured surface and cut out 12 x 8 cm rounds to line the base of each patty pan. Place 2 teaspoons of the cooled fruit mince into the center of each pastry round. Cut out 12 x 6cm pastry stars and brush with an egg glaze to help secure to pastry base. Brush tops with egg glaze and sprinkles with sugar. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until pastry is golden.
*NOTE – The recipe makes enough filling for 2 batches!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
ROASTED HARISSA CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE TRAY BAKEPREP TIME: 20 MINS + MARINATING TIMECOOKING TIME: 1 HOURSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 4 Chicken Marylands, slashed on the diagonal2 tablespoons harissa paste2 tablespoons lemon juice2 tablespoons olive oil750g bag Spud Lite...
POTATO, LENTIL AND CAULIFLOWER CURRYPREP TIME: 15 MINSCOOKING TIME: 40 MINSSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 1 small cauliflower head, separated into florets2 teaspoons vegetable oil1 large brown onion2 cloves garlic, crushed2 teaspoons grated ginger2 tablespoons mild Indian curry...
ONE POT CHICKEN, LEMON, TARRAGON AND POTATO CASSEROLEPREP TIME: 20 MINS COOKING TIME: 1 ½ hours SERVES: 4 - 6 INGREDIENTS 1 tablespoon olive oil6 chicken chops (bone in chicken thighs with skin)300g shallots, blanched and peeled200g smoked bacon, chopped3...