BALSAMIC POTATO, SHALLOT, SAGE AND GARLIC TARTE TATIN
PREP TIME: 15 MINS
COOKING TIME: 1 HOUR
600g Spud Lite baby potatoes
1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
25g unsalted butter
4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
1/3 cup sage leaves
1 ½ tablespoons caster sugar
1 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
300g pink shallots, peeled*
50g semi-dried tomatoes, chopped
½ cup (100g) goats feta, crumbled
375g All butter puff pastry (eg. Careme), thawed
Balsamic glaze, to drizzle
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
2. Place potatoes in a steamer basket over boiling water, cover and cook until tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Slice 5mm off the top of each potato, to create a flat base.
3. In a 24cm deep sided cast iron or oven proof frying pan, heat oil and butter together over a medium heat. Add whole shallots and fry for 5 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside until required.
4. Add garlic and sage to the same pan and cook for 3 minutes or until garlic is golden and sage leaves are crispy. Remove garlic and sage from pan using a slotted spoon and set aside until required
5. Add sugar to pan and return to heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Carefully add balsamic vinegar, as mixture might spit and remove from heat.
6. Place cooked potatoes cut side down into caramelised vinegar, interspersing shallots amongst them. Spread half the reserved garlic and sage, chopped tomatoes and 50g crumbled feta over the top.
7. Cut a 26cm pastry round to cover potatoes, tucking the edges in down the sides. Using a skewer, prick the pastry to create air holes, allowing steam to escape whilst cooking.
8. Place pan in preheated oven and cook for 40 minutes or until pastry is golden. Remove pan from oven and carefully place a flat plate over the pan and using oven mitts quickly invert tarte tatin onto the plate. It’s important the tarte tatin does not cool in the pan, as the topping will stick to the pan.
9. To serve either hot or cold, drizzle over balsamic glaze, sprinkle remaining fried garlic, sage leaves and crumbled feta over the top. Serve tarte tatin with a green salad.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
ROASTED HARISSA CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE TRAY BAKEPREP TIME: 20 MINS + MARINATING TIMECOOKING TIME: 1 HOURSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 4 Chicken Marylands, slashed on the diagonal2 tablespoons harissa paste2 tablespoons lemon juice2 tablespoons olive oil750g bag Spud Lite...
POTATO, LENTIL AND CAULIFLOWER CURRYPREP TIME: 15 MINSCOOKING TIME: 40 MINSSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 1 small cauliflower head, separated into florets2 teaspoons vegetable oil1 large brown onion2 cloves garlic, crushed2 teaspoons grated ginger2 tablespoons mild Indian curry...
ONE POT CHICKEN, LEMON, TARRAGON AND POTATO CASSEROLEPREP TIME: 20 MINS COOKING TIME: 1 ½ hours SERVES: 4 - 6 INGREDIENTS 1 tablespoon olive oil6 chicken chops (bone in chicken thighs with skin)300g shallots, blanched and peeled200g smoked bacon, chopped3...