POTATO & LAMB MOUSSAKA
PREP TIME: 20 MINS
COOKING TIME: 1 HOUR AND 30 MINS
SERVES: 6 – 8
3 medium eggplants, sliced thinly (lengthways)
Olive oil spray
1kg Spud Lite potatoes, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
750g minced lamb
1 brown onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
2 stick celery, diced
1 red capsicum, halved, deseeded and diced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
½ teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ cup (125ml) white wine
½ cup (125ml) vegetable stock
1 tablespoon tomato paste
700g bottle tomato passata
1/3 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Greek Yogurt Sauce
2 cups (500ml) Greek style yogurt
2 tablespoons cornflour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
¾ cup (60g) finely grated parmesan
pinch of grated nutmeg
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Lightly grease a large rectangular lasagne dish.
2. Heat a chargrill pan over medium-high heat. Spray eggplant slices with olive oil and chargrill on both sides, in batches, and set aside for later.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Using a mandolin or box grater, thinly slice potatoes and add to a large pot of boiling water. Bring water back to the boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain.
4. For the meat sauce, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large non-stick saucepan over a medium high heat. Add lamb in batches, to prevent mince stewing in the pan, and set aside for later.
5. In the same saucepan, heat remaining oil over a low heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, capsicum, garlic, allspice and oregano to the pan, stirring until well combined. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until onion is soft.
6. Return lamb to the pan and increase heat to medium. Add wine, stock, tomato paste and passata, stirring to combine, allow to cook for 30 minutes. Remove from heat, add parsley, zest and check seasoning, adjust accordingly.
7. For the Greek yogurt sauce, combine all the ingredients together in a small bowl, whisking to combine.
8. To assemble moussaka, place a third each of the eggplant in a layer across the bottom, followed by a layer of the potato. Spoon over half the lamb mixture and repeat the process, finishing with a layer of potato followed by eggplant. Evenly spread the Greek yogurt sauce over the top.
9. Place baking dish in preheated oven and cook for 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
ROASTED HARISSA CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE TRAY BAKEPREP TIME: 20 MINS + MARINATING TIMECOOKING TIME: 1 HOURSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 4 Chicken Marylands, slashed on the diagonal2 tablespoons harissa paste2 tablespoons lemon juice2 tablespoons olive oil750g bag Spud Lite...
POTATO, LENTIL AND CAULIFLOWER CURRYPREP TIME: 15 MINSCOOKING TIME: 40 MINSSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 1 small cauliflower head, separated into florets2 teaspoons vegetable oil1 large brown onion2 cloves garlic, crushed2 teaspoons grated ginger2 tablespoons mild Indian curry...
ONE POT CHICKEN, LEMON, TARRAGON AND POTATO CASSEROLEPREP TIME: 20 MINS COOKING TIME: 1 ½ hours SERVES: 4 - 6 INGREDIENTS 1 tablespoon olive oil6 chicken chops (bone in chicken thighs with skin)300g shallots, blanched and peeled200g smoked bacon, chopped3...