POTATO, CHICKEN, BACON AND LEEK PIE
PREP TIME: 45 MINS
COOKING TIME: 1 HOUR 10 MINS
1 pinch saffron with ¼ cup water
200g Spud Lite baby potatoes, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
400g chicken thigh, diced into 1cm cubes
100g smoky bacon, diced
1 large leek, white part thinly sliced
1 stick celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
¼ cup corn flour
250ml chicken stock
½ cup frozen peas
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 ½ tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 ½ tablespoons chives, chopped
1 x 445g packs Caréme sour cream shortcrust pastry, thawed
1 x 445g pack Caréme all butter puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, lightly beaten, for glaze
1. In a small jug combine the water and saffron, then leave to stand.
2. Place potato in a small saucepan covered in cold water over a medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain and set aside until required.
3. Meanwhile heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add to the pan in small batches, until well browned on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside for later.
4. Add remaining olive oil to the pan over a medium-low heat. Add the bacon, leek, celery and garlic, stirring to combine, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until leek is soft.
5. Add flour, stirring to combine, followed by the saffron water, chicken stock and lemon zest. Return browned chicken to the pan, season with salt and pepper, then bring to the boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until mixture thickens. To finish, remove from heat, add zest, herbs and cooked potatoes stirring to combine. Check the seasoning, then allow to cool completely.
6. To make pies, place the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut out 4 x 16cm rounds for the bottoms, and 4 x 13cm rounds for the tops.
7. Lightly grease four non-stick pie tins and line them with the larger of the pastry rounds. Evenly divide the cooled filling between the lined pie cases. Brush the smaller rounds with egg glaze, placing pie tops over the filling, glaze side down and pressing down the edges with a fork to seal the edges. Brush pie tops with egg glaze and snip three air holes across the top. Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
8. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
9. Place chilled pies in preheated oven, cook for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden and cooked through.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
ROASTED HARISSA CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE TRAY BAKEPREP TIME: 20 MINS + MARINATING TIMECOOKING TIME: 1 HOURSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 4 Chicken Marylands, slashed on the diagonal2 tablespoons harissa paste2 tablespoons lemon juice2 tablespoons olive oil750g bag Spud Lite...
POTATO, LENTIL AND CAULIFLOWER CURRYPREP TIME: 15 MINSCOOKING TIME: 40 MINSSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 1 small cauliflower head, separated into florets2 teaspoons vegetable oil1 large brown onion2 cloves garlic, crushed2 teaspoons grated ginger2 tablespoons mild Indian curry...
ONE POT CHICKEN, LEMON, TARRAGON AND POTATO CASSEROLEPREP TIME: 20 MINS COOKING TIME: 1 ½ hours SERVES: 4 - 6 INGREDIENTS 1 tablespoon olive oil6 chicken chops (bone in chicken thighs with skin)300g shallots, blanched and peeled200g smoked bacon, chopped3...