Potato, Chicken, Bacon and Leek Pie
PREP TIME: 45 min
COOKING TIME: 1 hour 10 mins
1 pinch saffron with ¼ cup water
200g Spud Lite baby potatoes, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
400g chicken thigh, diced into 1cm cubes
100g smoky bacon, diced
1 large leek, white part thinly sliced
1 stick celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
¼ cup corn flour
250ml chicken stock
½ cup frozen peas
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 ½ tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 ½ tablespoons chives, chopped
1 x 445g packs Caréme sour cream shortcrust pastry, thawed
1 x 445g pack Caréme all butter puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, lightly beaten, for glaze
- In a small jug combine the water and saffron, then leave to stand.
- Place potato in a small saucepan covered in cold water over a medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain and set aside until required.
- Meanwhile heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add to the pan in small batches, until well browned on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside for later.
- Add remaining olive oil to the pan over a medium-low heat. Add the bacon, leek, celery and garlic, stirring to combine, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until leek is soft.
- Add flour, stirring to combine, followed by the saffron water, chicken stock and lemon zest. Return browned chicken to the pan, season with salt and pepper, then bring to the boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until mixture thickens. To finish, remove from heat, add zest, herbs and cooked potatoes stirring to combine. Check the seasoning, then allow to cool completely.
- To make pies, place the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut out 4 x 16cm rounds for the bottoms, and 4 x 13cm rounds for the tops.
- Lightly grease four non-stick pie tins and line them with the larger of the pastry rounds. Evenly divide the cooled filling between the lined pie cases. Brush the smaller rounds with egg glaze, placing pie tops over the filling, glaze side down and pressing down the edges with a fork to seal the edges. Brush pie tops with egg glaze and snip three air holes across the top. Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- Place chilled pies in preheated oven, cook for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden and cooked through.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
Moroccan Vegetable and Chickpea Soup PREP TIME: 15 MINS COOKING TIME: 25 MINS SERVES: 4 INGREDIENTS 1 tablespoon olive oil 2 teaspoons Moroccan spice mix 1 large brown onion, peeled and diced 2 sticks celery, diced 1 large carrot, peeled and diced 400g crushed...
Italian Style Meatballs with Basil & Parmesan Mashed Potato PREP TIME: 25 MINS COOKING TIME: 30 MINS SERVES: 4 - 5 INGREDIENTS MEATBALLS IN TOMATO SOUP 1/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs ¼ cup milk 250g beef mince 250g pork mince 2 cloves garlic, crushed 3 teaspoons dried...
COCONUT, LIME AND CHILLI POTATO BAKEPREP TIME: 20 MINSCOOKING TIME: 1 HOUR, 40 MINSSERVES: 6INGREDIENTS 1kg Spud Lite potatoes, 270ml tin coconut cream 1 cup (250ml) vegetable stock ½ teaspoon soy sauce 2 cloves garlic, crushed 1 long red chilli, deseeded (optional)...
Virginia SA 5120
(08) 8380 9096