ONE POT CHICKEN, LEMON, TARRAGON AND POTATO CASSEROLE
PREP TIME: 20 MINS
1 ½ HOURS
SERVES: 4 – 6
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 chicken chops (bone in chicken thighs with skin)
300g shallots, blanched and peeled
200g smoked bacon, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 celery sticks, diced
¼ cup plain flour
2 cups (500ml) dry white wine
2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
1 tablespoon dried tarragon
500 Spud Lite baby potatoes, washed
1 bunch baby carrots, trimmed and scrubbed
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons lemon juice
¼ cup cream fraiche
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
2. Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large heavy ovenproof pot or a large heavy based frying pan over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches, until golden, set chicken aside for later.
3. Add shallots to the same pan and cook for 3 minutes each side or until golden. Set aside for later.
4. Add remaining olive oil to the pan and reduce heat to medium. Add bacon, garlic and celery, cook for 4 minutes, stirring continuously.
5. Add flour, stirring until mixture is well coated. Add wine, stock, tarragon, salt and pepper, stirring until mixture becomes smooth. Slowly bring to the boil.
6. If using a large heavy ovenproof pot, add potatoes, carrots and return chicken and shallots to the pan, stirring gently to coat in sauce. Bring to the boil, cover with a heavy lid and cook in preheated oven for 1 hour, stirring gently half way through. Alternatively, place potatoes, carrots, browned chicken and shallots in a large roasting pan and pour over the wine and stock mixture. Cover tightly with foil and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
7. Remove lid or foil and continue cooking for a further 15 minutes.
8. To serve, evenly divide chicken and vegetables between plates. Add lemon juice and cream fraiche to the remaining gravy and check seasoning, adjusting accordingly. Stir gently to combine, before pouring gravy over the chicken and vegetables. Serve with steamed greens.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
ROASTED HARISSA CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE TRAY BAKEPREP TIME: 20 MINS + MARINATING TIME COOKING TIME: 1 HOUR SERVES: 4 INGREDIENTS 4 Chicken Marylands, slashed on the diagonal 2 tablespoons harissa paste 2 tablespoons lemon juice 2 tablespoons olive oil 750g bag Spud Lite...
POTATO, LENTIL AND CAULIFLOWER CURRYPREP TIME: 15 MINS COOKING TIME: 40 MINS SERVES: 4 INGREDIENTS 1 small cauliflower head, separated into florets 2 teaspoons vegetable oil 1 large brown onion 2 cloves garlic, crushed 2 teaspoons grated ginger 2 tablespoons mild...
Moroccan Vegetable and Chickpea Soup PREP TIME: 15 MINS COOKING TIME: 25 MINS SERVES: 4 INGREDIENTS 1 tablespoon olive oil 2 teaspoons Moroccan spice mix 1 large brown onion, peeled and diced 2 sticks celery, diced 1 large carrot, peeled and diced 400g crushed...
Virginia SA 5120
(08) 8380 9096