BARBECUED SALMON WITH SALSA VERDE & CRISPY CURLY FRIES
PREP TIME: 30 MINS
COOKING TIME: 30 MINS
SERVES: 8 – 10
1.5kg side of salmon
2 tablespoons olive oil
1kg Spud Lite potatoes
2 litres canola oil, for frying
1/3 cup capers, drained
Lemon wedges, to serve
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/3 cup parsley leaves
1/3 cup basil leaves
1/3 cup mint leaves
2 tablespoons capers, drained
1 long red chilli, deseeded and chopped
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. For the salsa verde, place all the ingredients together in a food processor, pulsing until finely chopped. Spoon into a bowl, cover and refrigerate until required.
2. For the shoestring fries, use a spiraliser to make potato noodles following equipment instructions. Place potato noodles in a colander and rinse under cold water, to remove excess starch. Bring a pot of water to the boil and cook potato noodles for 2 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold water. Pat dry between kitchen paper, to remove all water.
3. Pour canola oil into a large saucepan, a third full and place over a medium heat. To check oil is at temperature, stick the handle of a wooden spoon into the oil and it will bubble when oil is at temperature. Pat dry capers between kitchen paper, before carefully dropping into oil for 1 minute or until crispy. Using a slotted spoon, place onto kitchen paper, to remove excess oil. Carefully place prepared potato in batches, into hot oil and cook for 3 minutes or until lightly golden and crispy. Place onto kitchen paper, to remove excess oil and season lightly with salt flakes. Toss together with crispy fried capers.
4. Preheat a barbecue with a cover (eg. Webber) to medium-high.
5. Brush salmon both sides with oil and place salmon skin side down on a sheet of aluminium foil slightly longer than the salmon on a large baking tray. The foil prevents salmon sticking to the barbecue and makes it easier to lift on and off the barbecue.
6. Slide prepared salmon and foil onto preheated barbecue, cover and cook for 5 minutes. For safety reasons, turn the barbecue off before carefully sliding salmon and foil back onto baking tray. Relight barbecue to medium-high. Place an oiled sheet of foil and second baking tray on top of salmon. Carefully flip the salmon and gently peel back foil from the skin side. Slide salmon and foil back onto the barbecue. Cover and cook for 3 minutes for medium rare or 5 minutes to cook right through. Carefully slide salmon back onto a baking tray and place a serving platter or board on top. Carefully flip the salmon onto the board or platter skin side down and gently remove the foil.
To serve, spread a little salsa verde over the top of the salmon, placing the remaining in a bowl to the side. Place the curly fries and lemon wedges around the salmon and serve.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
ROASTED HARISSA CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE TRAY BAKEPREP TIME: 20 MINS + MARINATING TIMECOOKING TIME: 1 HOURSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 4 Chicken Marylands, slashed on the diagonal2 tablespoons harissa paste2 tablespoons lemon juice2 tablespoons olive oil750g bag Spud Lite...
POTATO, LENTIL AND CAULIFLOWER CURRYPREP TIME: 15 MINSCOOKING TIME: 40 MINSSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 1 small cauliflower head, separated into florets2 teaspoons vegetable oil1 large brown onion2 cloves garlic, crushed2 teaspoons grated ginger2 tablespoons mild Indian curry...
ONE POT CHICKEN, LEMON, TARRAGON AND POTATO CASSEROLEPREP TIME: 20 MINS COOKING TIME: 1 ½ hours SERVES: 4 - 6 INGREDIENTS 1 tablespoon olive oil6 chicken chops (bone in chicken thighs with skin)300g shallots, blanched and peeled200g smoked bacon, chopped3...