PAN-FRIED GNOCCHI WITH ROCKET AND MINT PESTO
PREP TIME: 25 MINS
COOKING TIME: 25 MINS
SERVES: 4 – 6
- 1kg Spud Lite potatoes,
- peeled and quartered
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt flakes and freshly
- ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup parmesan, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest,
- finely grated
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
ROCKET AND MINT PESTO
- 1 cup baby rocket
- 1/3 cup mint leaves
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup parmesan
- 1/2 cup smoked almonds
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 punnet cherry tomatoes,
- 1/3 cup baby rocket leaves
1. Place potatoes in a large pot of boiling water over a medium heat. Bring to the boil and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Mash hot cooked potato until very smooth, using a potato ricer if possible. Place saucepan back on cook top for 2 minutes, stirring mash constantly to help dry it out. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
2. Place warm mashed potato into a medium mixing bowl. Add yolks, baking powder, salt and pepper, parmesan and zest, mixing until well combined. Add flour and gently knead mixture to a smooth dough.
3. On a clean lightly floured surface, evenly divide dough into four pieces and roll each into approximately 30cm long sausages, dusting with extra flour. Lay sausages side by side and using a knife cut gnocchi into 2cm pieces.
4. Meanwhile for the pesto, place rocket, mint, garlic, parmesan and almonds together in a food processor and pulse to a fine crumb. While the food processor is going, carefully and slowly add the olive oil until the pesto is smooth and a consistency of your liking. Set aside until required.
5. To cook gnocchi, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a gentle boil and turn down to a simmer. Carefully place gnocchi in water and cook for 2-3 minutes or until gnocchi floats to the top. Using a slotted spoon remove from pan and drain off excess water. Reserve 1/3 cup of cooking water.
6. Heat olive oil in large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add gnocchi in small batches to the pan and cook for 5 minutes turning occasionally until golden on both sides. Set aside in a large bowl.
7. In a small mixing bowl combine reserved cooking water with half the pesto, stirring to combine. Add to the bowl of pan-fried gnocchi tossing gently to combine.
8. To serve, divide gnocchi between bowls and scatter over cherry tomatoes and baby rocket leaves.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
ROASTED HARISSA CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE TRAY BAKEPREP TIME: 20 MINS + MARINATING TIMECOOKING TIME: 1 HOURSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 4 Chicken Marylands, slashed on the diagonal2 tablespoons harissa paste2 tablespoons lemon juice2 tablespoons olive oil750g bag Spud Lite...
POTATO, LENTIL AND CAULIFLOWER CURRYPREP TIME: 15 MINSCOOKING TIME: 40 MINSSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 1 small cauliflower head, separated into florets2 teaspoons vegetable oil1 large brown onion2 cloves garlic, crushed2 teaspoons grated ginger2 tablespoons mild Indian curry...
ONE POT CHICKEN, LEMON, TARRAGON AND POTATO CASSEROLEPREP TIME: 20 MINS COOKING TIME: 1 ½ hours SERVES: 4 - 6 INGREDIENTS 1 tablespoon olive oil6 chicken chops (bone in chicken thighs with skin)300g shallots, blanched and peeled200g smoked bacon, chopped3...