VEGETABLE AND BARLEY SOUP
PREP TIME: 20 MINS
COOKING TIME: 1 HOUR, 15 MINS
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 100g pancetta, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 1 ½ litres chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 400g tin crushed tomatoes
- 500g Spud Lite potatoes, diced
- ½ cup (120g) pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 2 large field mushrooms, diced
- Salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- 120g bag baby spinach
- ¼ cup parsley, roughly chopped
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over a low heat. Add onion, garlic, pancetta, carrot and celery, stirring until well coated. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
2. Add stock, tomato paste, tinned tomatoes and potatoes, stirring to combine. Bring to the boil.
3. Add barley, zucchini and mushrooms and bring back to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover and cook for 1 hour or until barley is tender. To finish, add spinach, stirring until just wilted, season with salt and pepper and finish with fresh parsley.
4. Serve soup with parmesan.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
ROASTED HARISSA CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE TRAY BAKEPREP TIME: 20 MINS + MARINATING TIMECOOKING TIME: 1 HOURSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 4 Chicken Marylands, slashed on the diagonal2 tablespoons harissa paste2 tablespoons lemon juice2 tablespoons olive oil750g bag Spud Lite...
POTATO, LENTIL AND CAULIFLOWER CURRYPREP TIME: 15 MINSCOOKING TIME: 40 MINSSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 1 small cauliflower head, separated into florets2 teaspoons vegetable oil1 large brown onion2 cloves garlic, crushed2 teaspoons grated ginger2 tablespoons mild Indian curry...
ONE POT CHICKEN, LEMON, TARRAGON AND POTATO CASSEROLEPREP TIME: 20 MINS COOKING TIME: 1 ½ hours SERVES: 4 - 6 INGREDIENTS 1 tablespoon olive oil6 chicken chops (bone in chicken thighs with skin)300g shallots, blanched and peeled200g smoked bacon, chopped3...