STICKY DATE PUDDING
PREP TIME: 15 MINS + SOAKING TIME
COOKING TIME: 1 HOUR
- 1 cup (140g) dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 80g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 extra-large free-range eggs, at room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups (300g) mashed Spud Lite potato
- 1 ½ cups (225g) plain self-raising flour
Salted caramel sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 300ml pouring cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt flakes
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Lightly grease a 23cm round spring-form tin and line with baking paper.
- For the pudding, combine dates, bicarbonate soda and boiling water together in a small bowl. Cover and leave to stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat butter, sugar, mixed spice and cinnamon until pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add potato, beating until combined. Add flour and date mixture, stirring until well combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared cake tin, smoothing the top with a spatula. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out of the centre clean. Remove from oven and allow pudding to cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the salted caramel sauce, combine the sugar, cream, vanilla, butter and salt together in a small saucepan over a medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes
To serve, place pudding on serving plate and drizzle over half the salted caramel sauce. Serve pudding with remaining sauce and thick cream.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
ROASTED HARISSA CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE TRAY BAKEPREP TIME: 20 MINS + MARINATING TIMECOOKING TIME: 1 HOURSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 4 Chicken Marylands, slashed on the diagonal2 tablespoons harissa paste2 tablespoons lemon juice2 tablespoons olive oil750g bag Spud Lite...
POTATO, LENTIL AND CAULIFLOWER CURRYPREP TIME: 15 MINSCOOKING TIME: 40 MINSSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 1 small cauliflower head, separated into florets2 teaspoons vegetable oil1 large brown onion2 cloves garlic, crushed2 teaspoons grated ginger2 tablespoons mild Indian curry...
ONE POT CHICKEN, LEMON, TARRAGON AND POTATO CASSEROLEPREP TIME: 20 MINS COOKING TIME: 1 ½ hours SERVES: 4 - 6 INGREDIENTS 1 tablespoon olive oil6 chicken chops (bone in chicken thighs with skin)300g shallots, blanched and peeled200g smoked bacon, chopped3...