BEEF & STOUT STEW WITH POTATO DUMPLINGS
PREP TIME: SERVES: 8
COOKING TIME: 3 HOURS
½ cup olive oil
1kg stewing beef, trimmed and cut into 2cm cubes
¼ cup plain flour
1 large brown onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 stick celery, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 375ml bottle stout
- 2 cups (500ml) beef stock
- 300g button mushrooms, halved
- Salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon thyme leaves
500g cold Spud Lite mashed potato
1 ½ cups (225g) self-raising flour
60g butter, diced
1 cup grated cheddar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon grainy mustard
2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
Salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat. Place the beef in a plastic bag, add the flour, tossing until well coated. Brown the beef in small batches, adding an additional 2 tablespoons of oil, if required, then set aside for later.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil to the same pan over a low heat, add the onion, garlic, carrots and celery, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until onion is soft. Add tomato paste, cook for 2 minutes.
- Return the beef to the pan with mushrooms, pour over the stout and stock. Slowly bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to very low, cover and cook for 2 hours.
- Remove lid from beef, bring to boil, and cook for a further 15 minutes to help reduce and slightly thicken the gravy. Add thyme and check the seasoning, adjusting accordingly.
- For the potato dumplings, preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- Combine flour, butter, cheddar, salt and pepper together in a food processor, pulsing until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cold mashed potato, egg, mustard, parsley, salt and pepper, stirring until combined. Add the flour mixture, stirring until mixture comes together as a soft dough. Evenly divide dough into eight pieces, rolling each into a ball.
- Place dough balls on top of stew. Place pot on a baking tray in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the dumplings are puffed and golden.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
ROASTED HARISSA CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE TRAY BAKEPREP TIME: 20 MINS + MARINATING TIME COOKING TIME: 1 HOUR SERVES: 4 INGREDIENTS 4 Chicken Marylands, slashed on the diagonal 2 tablespoons harissa paste 2 tablespoons lemon juice 2 tablespoons olive oil 750g bag Spud Lite...
POTATO, LENTIL AND CAULIFLOWER CURRYPREP TIME: 15 MINS COOKING TIME: 40 MINS SERVES: 4 INGREDIENTS 1 small cauliflower head, separated into florets 2 teaspoons vegetable oil 1 large brown onion 2 cloves garlic, crushed 2 teaspoons grated ginger 2 tablespoons mild...
ONE POT CHICKEN, LEMON, TARRAGON AND POTATO CASSEROLEPREP TIME: 20 MINS COOKING TIME: 1 ½ HOURS SERVES: 4 - 6 INGREDIENTS 1 tablespoon olive oil 6 chicken chops (bone in chicken thighs with skin) 300g shallots, blanched and peeled 200g smoked bacon, chopped 3 cloves...
Virginia SA 5120
(08) 8380 9096