PREP TIME: 20 MINS
COOKING TIME: 2 HOUR
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1kg beef mince
- 1 large brown onion, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup red wine
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups (500ml) beef stock
- 1 kg Spud Lite potatoes, peeled
- 60g unsalted butter
- ¾ cup strong cheddar, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried English mustard
- salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large non-stick saute pan over a medium-high heat. Add half the beef and cook for 5-10 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan and repeat process with remaining beef. Remove from pan and set aside until required.
- Heat remaining olive oil in the same pan and reduce heat to low. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery, stirring until well coated. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Return browned beef to the pan and increase heat to medium. Add flour, tomato paste and 1 teaspoon dried thyme, stirring until well combined. Add wine, Worcestershire sauce and beef stock, stirring to combine. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent bottom sticking. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile for the mash, steam potatoes for 15 minutes or until very tender. Remove from heat and mash until smooth. Add butter, cheddar, mustard, salt and pepper, stirring until mash is well combined and smooth.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- Spoon beef mixture into a large ovenproof dish and top with mash potato. Place dish on a baking tray in preheated oven and cook for 30 minutes or until top is golden.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
ROASTED HARISSA CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE TRAY BAKEPREP TIME: 20 MINS + MARINATING TIMECOOKING TIME: 1 HOURSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 4 Chicken Marylands, slashed on the diagonal2 tablespoons harissa paste2 tablespoons lemon juice2 tablespoons olive oil750g bag Spud Lite...
POTATO, LENTIL AND CAULIFLOWER CURRYPREP TIME: 15 MINSCOOKING TIME: 40 MINSSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 1 small cauliflower head, separated into florets2 teaspoons vegetable oil1 large brown onion2 cloves garlic, crushed2 teaspoons grated ginger2 tablespoons mild Indian curry...
ONE POT CHICKEN, LEMON, TARRAGON AND POTATO CASSEROLEPREP TIME: 20 MINS COOKING TIME: 1 ½ hours SERVES: 4 - 6 INGREDIENTS 1 tablespoon olive oil6 chicken chops (bone in chicken thighs with skin)300g shallots, blanched and peeled200g smoked bacon, chopped3...