ROAST CHICKEN WITH HASSELBACK POTATOES
PREP TIME: 25 MINS
COOKING TIME: 1.5 HOURS
SERVES: 4 – 6
2kg whole free-range chicken
60g unsalted butter, softened
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Zest of ½ lemon
¼ cup sage leaves, finely chopped
¼ cup flat leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
2 teaspoons rosemary, finely chopped
1 tablespoon lemon thyme leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon salt flakes
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, quartered
2 teaspoons olive oil
1kg Spud Lite potatoes
1/3 cup duck fat
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
Salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 190∞C (170∞C fan-forced).
2. For the hasselback potatoes, carefully cut each potato on a chopping board, using the handles of wooden spoons on either side (top and bottom) to stop the knife from cutting straight through.
3. In a small bowl combine garlic powder, rosemary, salt and pepper together, stirring to combine. Set aside until required.
4. For the chicken, combine butter, garlic, zest, sage, parsley, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper, stirring to combine.
5. Carefully lift the skin around the chicken breast and rub the herb butter over each breast. Place the lemon quarters in the cavity of the chicken and tie up the legs with twine. Place the prepared chicken in a roasting pan, rubbing with olive oil and seasoning with salt and pepper. Set aside until required.
6. Meanwhile, place prepared potatoes in a large saucepan covered in cold water and slowly bring to the boil, cook for 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry with kitchen paper.
7. Place duck fat on a roasting tray in preheated oven for 5 minutes.
8. Place hot par cooked potatoes on roasting tray, carefully spoon over hot duck fat and season with garlic mixture. Place chicken in roasting pan on middle shelf in preheated oven and baking tray with potatoes on a shelf just below. Cook chicken for 1 hour 20 minutes, basting chicken and potatoes every 20 minutes.
9. For the final 20 minutes of cooking, place chicken on the bottom shelf of oven, moving potatoes to a medium-high shelf. Once chicken is cooked through, remove from oven and carefully turn chicken onto its breasts to rest for 10 minutes. Loosely cover potatoes with foil.
10. Serve roast chicken and hasselback potatoes with gravy and green vegetables of your choice.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
ROASTED HARISSA CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE TRAY BAKEPREP TIME: 20 MINS + MARINATING TIMECOOKING TIME: 1 HOURSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 4 Chicken Marylands, slashed on the diagonal2 tablespoons harissa paste2 tablespoons lemon juice2 tablespoons olive oil750g bag Spud Lite...
POTATO, LENTIL AND CAULIFLOWER CURRYPREP TIME: 15 MINSCOOKING TIME: 40 MINSSERVES: 4INGREDIENTS 1 small cauliflower head, separated into florets2 teaspoons vegetable oil1 large brown onion2 cloves garlic, crushed2 teaspoons grated ginger2 tablespoons mild Indian curry...
ONE POT CHICKEN, LEMON, TARRAGON AND POTATO CASSEROLEPREP TIME: 20 MINS COOKING TIME: 1 ½ hours SERVES: 4 - 6 INGREDIENTS 1 tablespoon olive oil6 chicken chops (bone in chicken thighs with skin)300g shallots, blanched and peeled200g smoked bacon, chopped3...